When it comes to the home theater space, immersive sound has swept the board. Manufacturers have adopted the technology and are constantly releasing products to make the immersive sound reality in the house.
Even though this is fantastic news for die-hard aficionados, it implies that the average non-technical buyer will have to deal with new jargon, products, and system integration challenges. Not to worry if you fall into the latter category. We've got you covered. A selection of the best, feature-rich Immersive Gear Picks For 2022 has been compiled for you to purchase without breaking the bank.
While headphones may not be the best way to experience immersive audio, they have a practicality that makes them popular among music lovers. Of course, not everyone has the space required for a home theater system with eight or eleven speakers. It's never been more critical to choose a good pair of headphones, given the rapid adoption of Apple's binaural "spatial audio" system over the past year.
For those looking for a pair of headphones that will last a long time, the ones listed below are the best. Listening to audiobooks, playing gaming consoles, or viewing movies with their built-in microphones and high-quality sound are all more enjoyable with these headphones. A high-end experience is worth the extra money, as is the fact that these sets should last far longer than their less expensive equivalents if adequately cared for.
The noise-canceling capabilities of the high-end headphones we've included below allow for a more immersive listening experience because they reduce background noise. Headphone cords are no longer a hindrance to your activities, as Bluetooth-enabled high-performance headphones are becoming the norm. Allowing yourself the freedom of movement and productivity is a huge advantage.
- Apple AirPods Max ($479)
AirPods Max features Transparency mode, Adaptive EQ, Spatial Audio, and Proactive Noise Cancellation, all thanks to a unique acoustic design and powerful software. As far as immersive-capable headphones go, the AirPods Max is a hefty price tag.
- An excellent fit is provided by a knit-mesh canopy and comfort foam ear cushions.
- dynamic driver for high-fidelity audio created by Apple
- Outside noise is blocked with Active Noise Cancellation, allowing you to immerse yourself in the music entirely.
- Hearing and interacting with the environment are made possible through the transparency mode.
- Incorporating dynamic head tracking and spatial audio creates a theater-like acoustic experience.
- Great sound
- No Sony 360 Reality Audio support
- Sony WH1000XM4 ($349)
For the ultimate listening experience, Sony's sophisticated industry-leading noise-canceling headphones with excellent sound allow you to customize and control every aspect of your hearing. These mid-range Sony headphones are also remarkable for supporting Sony's 360 Reality Audio technology, the new immersive codec offers a virtual audio output experience akin to Dolby Atmos and the other object-based codecs available today.
- Audiophiles can enjoy a more enjoyable listening experience thanks to adaptive sound control.
- To ensure long-term comfort, we've updated the design.
- Dual Noise Sensor technology provides the best noise cancellation in the industry.
- Edge-AI and Sony Music Studios Tokyo collaborated to create next-level music.
- Battery life of up to 30 hours with rapid charging
- The battery has a long life.
- Effortless device pairing for various devices.
- excellent and crystal-clear audio
- Not optimized for Apple spatial audio
- SteelSeries Arctis 7 ($159)
When it comes to the gaming industry, SteelSeries has been at the forefront of innovation since 2001. Sound effects in Arctis are designed to give you an edge over your opponents.
- Over-ear Headphones for comfort
- New USB-C dongle for 2.4Ghz lossless wireless sound, ultra-low lag gameplay, and a steady range of 2.4Ghz
- A longer-lasting, more powerful 30-hour battery powered by USB-C keeps you going even during the longest gaming sessions.
- 3D Soundtrack's 7.1 virtual surround sound provides a competitive advantage by allowing you to immerse yourself in the audio in all directions fully.
- Excellent noise suppression capabilities.
- Suitable for gaming
- Material of exceptional quality
- Not comfortable to wear for longer durations
Audio/Video Receivers (AVRs)
If you're looking for a way to watch your favorite shows on a big screen, an AV receiver is what you need. Installing AV receivers is an intelligent investment for homeowners because it lays the groundwork for immersive home theater and multiroom audio distribution. AV receivers are the backbone of today's home entertainment systems. Multiple, high-resolution channel switching and a range of surround sound processing, including cutting-edge immersive audio technologies such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, are provided by an AV receiver in a home theater set-up. All of the speakers of a system are powered by it.
You'll need a Dolby Atmos-compatible AV receiver to power any ceiling-mounted or upward-firing Dolby Atmos speakers. Dolby Atmos is supported by the vast majority of major AV brands and at various price points to meet the needs of a broad spectrum of consumers. Dolby Atmos and other object-based audio system formats can be enjoyed in the comfort of one's living room, thanks to AV receivers in the home theater industry.
Buying a new AV receiver necessitates careful consideration of several aspects, including your budget, the number and type of speakers you intend to utilize, your viewing habits, and your home theater setup. As a result, the number and kind of inputs and outputs should be the first things to be considered. The number of HDMI ports needed to connect your video equipment and the number of analog and digital audio inputs required for your audio equipment are the two most critical.
- Denon AVR-S750H ($399)
With the Denon AVR-S750H, you can enjoy an immersive home theater experience. As an entry-level Dolby Atmos receiver for a 7.1 or 5.1.2 home theater system, this Denon model is ideal. Dolby Vision, HDR10, HOG, and eARC are all supported by the AVR-S750H, thanks to its sophisticated HDMI section.
- Atmos Height Virtualization Technology, eARC, and enhanced sound effects with Dolby Atmos
- Exquisitely bright, colorful images enhance your movie and video game viewing pleasure.
- Wireless Speakers
- Full compatibility with Amazon Alexa's voice controls
- New Features And Unprecedented Realism
- Easily change the volume
- Clear and enveloping sound
- No analog 5.1/7.1-channel input for legacy gear
- Sony STR-DH790 ($449)
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X surround sound formats are supported by the powerful 7.2 channel receiver, allowing you to feel right in the center of the action on screen. In the privacy of your own home, you'll be treated to an immersive theater-like experience.
- Turn on the receiver with your phone while streaming music using Bluetooth Standby.
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X produce object-based surround sound in a multi-dimensional manner.
- Home Theater Audio For The Movies
- Exceptional 4K Resolution
- Auto Calibration
- Quality surround sound
- Connection over Bluetooth is fast.
- No Auro-3D decoding
- Onkyo TX-NR7100 ($1099)
This Onkyo AVR, designed for audiophiles, has up to ten separate amplification channels. Improved audio performance is achieved thanks to a built-in digital room correction system.
- Stream your favorite music from your computer or mobile device.
- Use HDMI 2.1 features for gamers to dominate the competition.
- Install a variety of 8K60-resolution high-definition entertainment alternatives.
- QFT minimizes lag for a more enjoyable gaming session.
- Latency optimization
- Smooth experience
- Superb amplification
- Higher cost
Soundbars/All-In-One Speaker Systems
Most soundbars are small enough to put in front of or below your screen and deliver high-quality audio. One-piece speakers that don't require a surround or subwoofer are the most powerful TV soundbars. You can usually add additional surround speakers or multi-box systems that link wirelessly, so you don't have to deal with tangles of cord in your path.
You should consider purchasing a Dolby Atmos-enabled soundbar, as there is now a wide variety of content available on streaming platforms that can benefit from the new surround format. Another consideration is whether or not you want the soundbar to enable HDMI passthrough, which allows it to operate as a bridge between your gaming console and your television. If you have a newer TV, you may want to connect external devices directly to the TV and use the soundbar for audio alone.
These high bandwidth multichannel audio codecs, as well as earlier TV optical connections, are supported by many new TV soundbars, which feature ARC and eARC-enabled HDMI connectors. Controlling your soundbar's volume with your TV remote is possible with the help of an HDMI or HDMI-eARC connection. Is a separate physical remote for the soundbar essential, or are you more comfortable using an app to adjust the soundbar's settings?
If you're searching for a soundbar capable of creating an immersive home cinematic experience, you'll want to seek models that support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X audio. It can be done virtually using processing, or it can be done with up-firing speakers. If the latter appeals to you, keep in mind that it will sound better if you have low ceilings to reflect the sound off of and that the soundbar's top must be left exposed and away from the TV screen. Only the best soundbars are included in this list.
- Samsung HW-Q950A ($1799)
Using the most recent acoustic technology, experience genuine 3D audio with sound perfectly projected from above, in front, behind, and to your side. Samsung TVs and soundbars compatible with this feature can provide cinematic audio that tracks every scene with perfectly synchronized audio.
- Amazon Echo devices are required to use this function.
- Every line of dialogue is perfectly audible
- Stream audio from your iPhone or other iOS device in seconds.
- Wi-Fi or Bluetooth can be used to connect your Soundbar to your television.
- Improved speech intelligibility
- Allows you to take advantage of Alexa's capabilities.
- Rich bass and calibrated tones
- Narrower front soundstage
- Focal Sib Evo ($1699)
When you watch your favorite movies at home, you can enjoy Dolby Atmos sound effects that are just as good as those heard in theaters. Suddenly, your films will have a whole new meaning! An All-In-One Set One silk dome tweeter and a large speaker enclosure make up the Sib Evo, which has an extended frequency response.
- An extra full-range Polyflex speaker driver is mounted on the Dolby Atmos loudspeaker to provide the Atmos effects.
- A "lifestyle" subwoofer that borrows design cues from Hi-Fi subwoofers, the Cub Evo does just that.
- Structured from MDF with a Matt Black finish, it features an 8-inch speaker driver and a 200W Class D amplifier.
- Excellent speaker set
- Works well in smaller rooms
- Setup is a hassle.
- LG SN11RG ($1099)
LG sound bars and wireless speakers produce every note with astonishing clarity - without taking up any space in your home. The sound bars and speakers have sleek, compact designs and cutting-edge technology to deliver robust, booming sound and subtle notes.
- Slim, wireless speakers, and soundbars with Bluetooth capabilities blend seamlessly into any room.
- Connectivity Alternatives
- Audio in High Definition
- Soundbars and speakers with built-in wireless speakers that support Google Assistant
- AI Room Calibration
- The design is sleek and thin.
- Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity
- Clear sound
- It takes some time to establish a Bluetooth connection.
Optical Disc Players
Get a stunningly beautiful home cinema experience. The vast majority of 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays display everything in much finer detail than before, giving the impression that you are seeing the actual event. The versatility of optical discs is demonstrated by the fact that they enable a computer system to function as a music system. The amount of consistency provided by optical discs is typically very high.
Though streaming has become the dominant outlet for immersive music in 2022, there are still a number of new releases on formats such as Blu-Ray, DVD, and Super Audio CD that fans won’t want to miss. We've compiled a list of the top optical players available for your usage, ranging from small and inexpensive models to large and feature-rich ones.
- Sony UBP-X800M2 ($299)
Audiophiles may get a lot of bang for their buck with the X800, which supports DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, and even 5.1 FLAC playback at a fraction of the cost.
- Streaming apps and services can be accessed wirelessly via the fast, stable built-in Wi-Fi.
- 4K UHD Blu-dazzling ray's clarity and fine detail
- Enhance your experience with Dolby Atmos 3D sound and high-resolution audio
- The 4K upscaling results in a stunning image.
- Disc and file formats can be played with ease.
- Visual excellence that is unmatched in the industry.
- greater audibility
- Audio in high definition
- No analog 5.1/7.1-channel output for legacy gear
- Panasonic DP-UB150-K ($179)
The Panasonic 4K Blu Ray Player (DP-UB150-K) provides stunning color and detail for a cinematic encounter at home. Natural textures and depth are enhanced, as well as color, clarity, and beauty, using Panasonic-exclusive 4K high-precision chromatic processing technologies.
- Multiple HDR Formats Are Supported
- Accurately reproduces high-quality sound
- Enjoy Your Favorite Films in 4K Ultra HD on a Blu-ray Player
- To achieve 4K high-precision chroma imaging, Panasonic has leveraged its unique technological capabilities.
- The visual quality is excellent.
- Great user interface
- Value for money
- HDMI output only
Upfiring/Wall-Mounted Atmos Speakers
Dolby Atmos utilizes speakers with height effects to produce extraordinary results that appear to rise from the screen and surround the listener. Realism is brought to the cinematic experience in new and exciting ways. Anywhere in a scene can be used to position and move sound effects, including above the action. Three-dimensional sound transports the listener to a new level of height and realism by flowing over and around them in sync with the pictures on the screen.
It's possible to use Dolby Atmos in a home theater by putting speakers high on a wall, mounting them inside the ceiling, or using Atmos height effects speaker modules that fire upwards at the roof and use boundary reflection to create the appearance that special effects are coming from above.
With ceiling speakers, you may hear the rain, planes passing overhead, and other noises coming down from the roof, such as ambient noise or a bird flying overhead. Up-firing atmos speakers direct music upwards, where it bounces off the ceiling and descends to where you're sitting. It doesn't need to be as crisp and clear as a direct sound like a vocal recording because this is mainly ambient noise
While it is common for the speaker's location to be directly above the listening position, this is not always the case. Depending on the number of channels you have, the number of ceiling options you have will also be affected. This is without a doubt the best way to use Dolby Atmos speakers. A list of Atmos Dolby speakers that can be added to your existing setups to enable a height channel is here.
- Polk Audio XT90 ($150)
The Polk Monitor XT90 height speaker provides an immersive, encompassing soundstage for a dramatic surround sound experience. Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and DTS Virtual:X content can be enjoyed to the fullest extent possible.
- A 4" Dynamically Balanced Woofer enhances exceptional FX and ambient listening.
- High-quality construction and a cutting-edge design
- DTS:X and Virtual:X-enhanced content is also supported.
- Versatile Placement & Ease of Setup
- Timbre-matched Polk components enhance sound quality.
- Consistent sound
- Polk-patented quality
- Stylish design
- Limited low-end response
- Sony SS-CSE ($199)
Own a piece of cinematic audio history in the comfort of your own home. The Dolby Atmos-optimized stainless-case speakers produce surround sound that fills the room from every aspect - even above. It’s also worth noting that world-famous mix engineer Bob Clearmountain uses these as the heights in his 7.1.4 setup at the Mix This! facility.
- A Dolby Atmos-enabled speaker is an excellent addition to your home entertainment system.
- Spectacular cinematic sound design.
- Uncompromising audio quality.
- Highly durable
- High-quality audio
- Value for money
- Limited low-end response
- ELAC DA42-BK ($249)
These ELAC Debut 2.0 A4.2 Atmos Add-On Speakers provide dynamic height channels for your surround sound system. With their upward-firing design, these speakers fit on top of your current front speakers and project above sound effects into your ceiling, creating an immersive listening experience.
- Dolby Atmos-capable systems only
- Design for a Single Concentric Driver
- A 4" Woofer and a 0.5" Tweeter are included
- Withstands Power of Up to 80 W
- Suitable for novices
- High-definition audio
- Using only the best materials
- Trickier to wall-mount
In the realm of home audio, immersive sound codecs like DTS:X, Spatial Audio, and Sony's 360 Reality Audio are making the 3D sound more accessible than ever before.
Audio systems vary in their ability to provide immersive sound, but they can all give you the impression that the sound is coming from all directions. The above-mentioned products combine to create the ideal set of Immersive gear for the home theater as well as on-the-go.